The modern library at the Bodoni Museum enriches the Palatina’s patrimony with a separate typography section.
Situated in the Study Room adjacent to the exhibition gallery, the library contains volumes on art and the history of printing and advertising material, as well as important works from Italian publishers (the entire collection of Franco Maria Ricci’s editions; collections of works produced by Hans Mardersteig, Franco Riva and Alberto Tallone), papers on graphic and editorial design, essays and monographs on Bodoni, etc.
In 1972 the library was granted the Fondo Trevisani (donated by the widow of Prof. Piero Trevisani, one of the museum’s founders), composed of roughly 2,000 volumes and brochures mainly regarding the history of printing and typography.
During opening hours, the Palatina Library offers the following loan, distribution and consultation services:
- Local loan: 2 books at a time, renewable loan for one-month period.
- National and international loan.
- Reproductions of the bibliographic documents owned by the library, for personal, educational and editorial use, in compliance with the copyright law.
- Bibliography and catalogue information.
- Consultation of the books excluded from the loaning service.
- Information research on the Internet.
In January 2005 the Bodoni Museum Library entered the Polo Bibliotecario Parmense and obtained a ICCU (Online Public Access Catalogue) index qualification. At the same time, a digital registration of the volumes was initiated; all the library’s patrimony can currently be browsed online.